The Scribble Pad

Random, self-promoting thoughts by author Roslyn Carrington, aka Simona Taylor

My Photo
Name:
Location: Trinidad & Tobago

I write literary novels under my real name, Roslyn Carrington, and wayyy too hot Arabesque romance novels under the pen name Simona Taylor. I live in Trinidad with my partner, Rawle, and our toddlers, Riley and Megan. Ah, the pleasures and pressures of being parents to those two! There’s also my full-time Public Relations job, the aquarium full of albino sharks, the dog, the garden, the obsession with cooking (the more fattening the dish, the better), the addiction to the comic art by the likes of Keith Knight and Aaron McGruder, and the chocolate compulsion. I fill whatever time I have left dreaming about romance and writing.

Sunday, July 09, 2006

Whine, whine, whine

Well, here it is; the last day of my vacation. Although technically, Friday was the last day of my vacation, since Saturday and Sunday are free anyway, but let's not split hairs. I'm a little down, because it hasn't been easy. The kids were sick for such a long time, with their gastro.

They were still under the weather when I left for Jamaica more than a week ago. So I got there exhausted, and then the programme itself wasn't all it was cracked up to be. I was disappointed to the bottom of my heart to be making my presentation to just 2 people, after 3 weeks of hard work on it. I don't know what went wrong, but the whole thing just fell apart. Not enough advertising, not enough marketing, something. It just didn't seem as though anyone knew it was taking place, or cared. The next day, with the open mike poetry readings, was slightly better, but I still can't shake the Twilight Zone sensation of things being out of sync. The rest of the visit was a blur of fatigue, and I never felt that I had gotten into my stride, and never really felt at ease, even on my last day, which was a free day and I could have done the tourist thing. It was lonely, and not a whole lot of fun.

Then after a predictably late and arduous flight (BeeWee (our beloved local airline) as usual was hot, crowded, nasty, with graffitti on the seats, grime all over the place, and absolutely unpalatable meals) I was home again. Three days left of my vacation, I slept off the Jamaica jag on the first, and then sort of milled around for the other two.

Then Riley got sick again. Some sort of flu that has him coughhing and gagging at night, waking up screaming, and needing to be held and comforted. So long, sleep. As a matter of fact, it's 10:30 p.m. and he's still up, playing with my mouse and asking a million questions.

So I'm beat, in a bad mood, and feeling a general sense of non-accomplishment. Like nothing really turned out right. And I'm back t work in the morning. Hooray. But all I've done all vacation has been to clean up puke and change diapers and deal with other people's needs and take care of everyone else but my own. And I wonder if there will ever come a time when someone will see about my needs, and cater to my fancies and make me feel better.

Anyway, if you're of a mind to read any of my blogs from the trip, and see some of my photos, you can stop by my website here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home