The Scribble Pad

Random, self-promoting thoughts by author Roslyn Carrington, aka Simona Taylor

My Photo
Name:
Location: Trinidad & Tobago

I write literary novels under my real name, Roslyn Carrington, and wayyy too hot Arabesque romance novels under the pen name Simona Taylor. I live in Trinidad with my partner, Rawle, and our toddlers, Riley and Megan. Ah, the pleasures and pressures of being parents to those two! There’s also my full-time Public Relations job, the aquarium full of albino sharks, the dog, the garden, the obsession with cooking (the more fattening the dish, the better), the addiction to the comic art by the likes of Keith Knight and Aaron McGruder, and the chocolate compulsion. I fill whatever time I have left dreaming about romance and writing.

Thursday, February 15, 2007

Be safe

Crime might change us in big ways, but it changes us in small ways, too. I noticed something the other day while I was watching a local talk show. At the end of the programme, the host congenially wished the audience, "Have a crime-free day."

I did a double take. Whatever happened to the standard, if a little time-worn, "Have a nice day?" Then I started listening. I was at the Post Office today. The post lady wished the lady in front of me farewell with, "Be safe."

I opened my ears, and I realise it's all around. We no longer say just "Bye" or "See you," or "Have a pleasant day." People are saying, "Be careful." "Be safe." "Hope you have a quiet night." We're all so aware of the situation, that even our hopes for each other have changed.

Sad, really.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home