The Scribble Pad

Random, self-promoting thoughts by author Roslyn Carrington, aka Simona Taylor

My Photo
Name:
Location: Trinidad & Tobago

I write literary novels under my real name, Roslyn Carrington, and wayyy too hot Arabesque romance novels under the pen name Simona Taylor. I live in Trinidad with my partner, Rawle, and our toddlers, Riley and Megan. Ah, the pleasures and pressures of being parents to those two! There’s also my full-time Public Relations job, the aquarium full of albino sharks, the dog, the garden, the obsession with cooking (the more fattening the dish, the better), the addiction to the comic art by the likes of Keith Knight and Aaron McGruder, and the chocolate compulsion. I fill whatever time I have left dreaming about romance and writing.

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Greater love

I can't tell you how sad I am about the death of James Kim. if you remember, he's the man who left his snowbound wife and two small children in their car last week in Oregon to try to get help. He was out there for about a week, wandering. I got up at about 4 a.m. this morning and lay in my bed, worrying about him, only to hear later today that his body was found. He'd wandered 8 miles in the snow, and died just 1 mile from the car.

I feel so sad. Rawle knew of him because of his work in the computer industry, but my only connection to him is the similrities between his wife and me. I can only imagine sitting in a car for days with my toddler and my baby, just like she did. (Hers were 7 months and 4 years old.) Freezing cold, lost, having to comfort two restless, irritable, cold, hungry children, wondering where your husband is, and hoping that he'd come back. I keep asking myself, what would I do?

She breastfed hers, as I would have. But oh, those long, dreadful cold days.

And I can't help but feel great admirtion for Kim. It is a commentary in a nutshell on gender roles and responsibilities, if you want to look at it like that. He did the manly thing. He did what a man would do. Step out, step up, and venture into the cold to save his family. Greater love had no man than this, that he laid down his life for those he loved.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home